dimanche 24 mars 2013

Late entrance



Hello everybody,
                It seems, that I've to catch up with you guys, who are writing this blog for a long time now :)
                My first impressions about Montpellier? Before 2013, I had them already, I was visiting this city ten years ago and that was my first BIG trip. I remember the hot summer, first taste of sea-food, bohemia, city full with street musicians, playing french music, little boutiques, big smiles on people's faces when they discover I'm not French and do not speak a word in this language. Actually now, it seems that nothing has changed, nothing, but the smiles on French people faces when they hear English and now the sea-food comes in a set with wine- always together.
                Before I came here, I heard some rumors, that it is hard to be a foreigner in Montpellier- natives are not friendly, not helpful and do not want to know nothing about you. Also there were many stereotypes I knew, actually, I have no idea where they all came from, for example, all french are eating croissants every morning and they love eating snails, or they are very accurate, fashionable and arrogant, they do not speak english or do not want to speak (which I discovered is true), their lingerie is the best in the whole world and, of course, who has not heard about french kiss?
                So, I came here prepared, with certain expectations and all I can say is, that the bad ones have not came true, at least, not yet.
                First culture shock for me was the graffiti’s on these beautiful medieval buildings, why should people destroy their own cultural heritage? Second came later, when I noticed how dirty the streets and university are. Third, when I discovered how friendly people in reality are. But the time goes and I don't pay attention to all of this anymore. Now, I'm even used to the bad timing the southern guys have here, and slowly I take over this quality- to be late.
                I think Montpellier is the perfect city for foreign students- it's multicultural, you meet many new people from many countries and you can just enjoy the southern lifestyle.
                Studying in english, living in France? This is a lifetime opportunity if you do not speak the native language, but wanting to discover their culture. Improving english skills, being in multicultural society and enjoying french benefits. As we, latvians, are saying- you shoot a rabbit with one shot.
               
                For a foreign student, arriving in Montpellier, the most exciting part is discovering process           . The best feeling is then, when you arrive here with no expectations at all, but the city opens you a door to a whole other world- french one.  


Goodnight,
Katrina

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire