samedi 16 mars 2013

Stereotypes from a Spanish guy

Hi guys,

As a Spanish, I have to say we do have a few stereotypes about French people. Honestly, we have never get on really wel with each other!... It's been like that for years. Mainly, Spanish people say French just want to speak their language, that they don't talk to you in another language or, even more, if you don't speak proper French.

I don't really have a reason for the origin of these stereotypes, but I would venture to say that is been created  by Spanish people who don't speak French (or English)  and visited France but kept speaking Spanish, expecting French people to understand them. French people would get angry and this would be the image Spanish people kept. Yes, we can be that idiot here.

In my opinon, this sterotype is half true: maybe elderly (and not that elderly) people can be a little bit rude with a person who doesn't speak French but I think it doesn't apply to students (more open-minded), immigrants and, more important, second or third-generation immigrants (sons or daughters of immigrant people already settled in France). I have had experiences with the last ones and I found them incredibly kind.

There is also the stereotype of chovinism, but I don't think neither it is a stereotype (I do think it's true) nor it is bad. It can lead to problems (the main of these problems can be the lack of knowledge from other cultures and languages), of course, but we all are proud of our country, I guess. I cannot criticise them for that.

To end up, I would like to recommend you all a film, related to the racism topic we saw and to the webpage adress the teacher sent us: Hotel Rwanda. It amazed me and upset me at the same time...

Sorry about the long post,

Luis

1 commentaire:

  1. Hi Luis, thanks for the comment about Hotel Rwanda, I've seen this film and agree it's a good one for raising awareness about racism and where it can lead

    RépondreSupprimer